Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fruit

There are many moments during one's childhood that make such an impression that they are remembered for a lifetime. These are the moments that we use to learn, to grow, and most importantly to laugh. :) I've had several of those that make me cringe, "What was I thinking? Certainly that wasn't me!" My mother can confirm, however, that there was in fact a scrubbed down milk tin found in the nearby cow pasture creek given to her by her oldest 6th grade daughter as an anniversary gift.  Yes, cringe. Again I ask myself "What was I thinking?!" It's the thought that counts. :)

Another such memory is less embarrassing and simply shocking to the mind of a ten year old. My sister had a "male" cat named Oreo. Now, we have always loved our animals dearly but they are just that: animals. I will never forget the day I walked outside and was stunted by what I saw; I ran back in a panic. "Mom, Oreo is nursing some cat's kittens!!!" I was smart you see; I knew that boy cats don't have kittens so certainly Oreo kidnapped these poor babies. But no, the shock was not over; I soon learned that Oreo was in fact a mother. Boy cats do not nurse; he was a girl!

Matthew 7:16: You shall know them by their fruits.

All this time we had been fooled into thinking Oreo was a boy; however, when it was all said and done her true self was revealed. Having kittens did not make Oreo a girl. Just the opposite is true. Because she was a girl, she was able to have kittens. The same can be said of Christians. Yearning for God's Word and growth, loving and serving others, being faithful to God and His commandments do not make us Christians. However, as Christians this is how we will act. Just like the kittens made us realize Oreo's true self, a person's desires and priorities can give us a hint to his/her true identity. How can a true believer not want to make time with the Lord part of their daily walk? How can a Christian feel no remorse for sin, apathy, or unfaithfulness? We are still humans; we will mess up daily! But someone who has a relationship with the Lord feels that tug and discomfort that comes from knowing their actions/thoughts/words do not please God. 

Matthew 7:21-23: Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?" Then I will tell the plainly, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"


 What is your lifestyle? Yes, Christianity affects your entire life. Are you characterized as a person who is angry, mean, selfish? Are you preoccupied with sports, academics, or even your family? How are you raising your children? Do they put sports, friends, and fun over Bible study and their relationship with the Lord? Yes, even children can have a walk with God, and they do show fruit! Or do people see something different in you? 


Galatians 5:22-23: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.



1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you today. Yes... I want so to glorify God in all I do. I want to run to Him more than anything else. Thank you for your words. Its been a touch day and I needed them.

    Hugs & love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete