Saturday, September 18, 2010

Driving Through the Country

Let me begin by saying this: driving in the country is not the same as driving in the city. Not even close. In fact, I think they should offer a class when transitioning from metro to rural or vice-versa. For example, a long road in south Georgia is NOT the same as that in the city. In the city, a long road is generally an interstate or highway, therefore the speed limit ranges from 55-75 mph. This is not the case in rural towns. A long straight road is just that: a long. straight. road. The speed limit ranges from 25-55mph. I can only think of one explanation, and this goes back to the idea of a "drive through the country." It means driving very slowly through the middle of nowhere, so as to take in the scenery.  The "slowly" part is mandated by speed limits posted by the proud officials of that locale. It'd be a shame for a passer-by to miss part of the town while driving through. Don't get me wrong: driving in rural Georgia is quite interesting and has much more country-side to see than that of the big city. However, this type of driving is nowhere to be found in my personality description. When I get behind the wheel of a car, I do so because I have a destination. The "fun" part of driving is getting to the destination. This has become even more true as my city driving now stands out like a sore thumb to law enforcement in south Georgia with roads to pay for. I'm sure I own an entire highway somewhere by now. Since my first abode in south Georgia 6 years ago, I have learned to hate driving. And every single ticket has been in rural Georgia. No lie. I'm sure there are a few who sympathize with my distain for driving, as well as those who have yet to feel that drop in the stomach at the site of blue lights in the rear-view.

But this goal-driven attitude affects more than just my driving. Why is it so hard for me to enjoy the ride of life? "Oh I'll be settled once I graduate. Then I can have a ministry." Or "If only I could live in a big city. Then I would truely be happy." How much time have I lost by being focused on the goal and ignoring the signs around me, the needs around me? My ministry may not look like my "goal" but it is actually more valuable because it isn't my plan. Therefore, anything that happens cannot be credited to any accomplishments or goals that I have pushed myself to meet. Only God knows the things that will be accomplished along the way.  

 Proverbs 31:12, "She does him good and not evil all the days of her life." Did you notice the end of that verse? "All the days of her life." Not once she gets her white house with the picket fence; not once she gets her phD, or her dream career. Every single day she does the good things listed in the rest of the chapter.

This "slowing down and enjoying the ride" thing seems impossible and overwhelming to this goal-oriented chick, but sanctification is a process that Christ does in us. Philippians 4:12-14: all things are possible through Christ. So, while I learn to sit back and enjoy the ride (literally and figuratively), He is able to conform me to His image, and I am able to notice my surroundings. How exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Joni. Yes it is hard for me on these back roads... when I come home from Orlando... I get off of I75 and can't seem to SLOW down.

    Thanks for all the encouragement & support for Mandi. (both of you)

    See you Wednesday.

    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete