Friday, August 6, 2010

Housewife?!?

Recently someone mentioned to me the idea of keeping a blog. I laughed, but later found myself proposing the idea my best friend. "I am thinking about considering a blog about being a housewife. What do you think?"  She was very excited about the idea, so here I am!

Where do I begin? Well, I suppose the revelation point of my new identity is a good starting point. I have now been married for almost one month. The first week after the honeymoon was full of paper work, new accounts, a new name, thank you notes, returns... and on and on it seems. One event in particular spark the realization of my new role: the joint bank account.

We were sitting at the desk across from the banker, filling out paperwork and all that adding me to my husbands account entails. Everything is flowing smoothly when suddenly I am hit with THE question. The one can affect an outsider's perception of you for better of for worse. Sweetly, the banker looks across the desk and asks, "What is your career?"  Suddenly I am at a loss for words. For most my life, I could answer that question without second thought. Lifeguard, telemarketer, student. I looked across the desk at the eager banker and shamefully mumbled, "I'm unemployed." Suddenly feeling like a parasite on my husbands bank account, I proceeded to come up with a detailed explanation of my many degrees, and desire to find a teaching position. However, before I could develop my explanation, my new friend smiled and excitedly announced, "Well, that means you are a housewife!"  A housewife?! I wasn't sure how I felt about that. What exactly is a housewife? I'd always imagined a lady older than myself with several kids, a house with a white picket fence, and a vegetable garden out back. Something that may (or may not) be in the future for me. But a 25 year old newly wed with a chihuahua and a two bedroom townhouse? This was something for me to ponder.

And thus begins my venture to discover my role as a housewife. What is it that God has for me to do?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, dearie...welcome.

    While I can't say that I'm a housewife, the struggle between my desire for a career and my desire to be a SAHM are in constant conflict. We're discussing taking the plunge into parenthood next year. You know my hours *nail biting* I won't be able to keep this job and I'm sure that all attempts to hole on to it will lead to failure.

    I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts as you adjust to your new life and role.

    Grace to you.

    *edited for typo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! Now I get to hear more about your life! hurray! :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!! So excited to read your first blog! Right now you might not be able to see what God has set aside for you in south Georgia, but maybe the practice of keeping this blog will help you to pinpoint the places where He is teaching you and using you. (I love the background).

    ReplyDelete