Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Refocusing

Let's get honest for a moment: as of the past month, any fantasies of going out of town  usually involve interstates, Starbucks, and of course shopping malls. Hey, I wouldn't even mind getting stuck in traffic for a little while. However, this weekend we found ourselves going further south...yes it is possible! My husband was a groomsman in a wedding, and we spent last weekend participating in the wedding festivities in deep south Georgia.

While there, we had the privilege of meeting an Australian pastor and his college intern. What an encouraging pair! During the weekend we had several conversations about ministry. In their laid-back Aussie style, they explained their discipleship-based ministry in the land Down Under. Meanwhile, God is using them to reveal suppressed truths about my own current attitude....  

The biggest struggle with being jobless is tied to our humanistic need for approval. I mean, how would I even cope if mud was tracked onto my new rug?!  And of course the world would come to an end if, heaven forbid, I served spinach salad and baked chicken to someone who hates vegetables and prefers red meat.
And then comes the big one: what do people think of me being unemployed? Every career question prompts a long explanation; I mean, it'd be just awful if people thought I CHOSE my current occupation!! But seriously, why so do I care so much?!  How shallow! While it's totally fine and natural for me to want to present a clean, modern home, and it's totally fine for me to enjoy making myself look presentable (I believe one pastor said it would be a sin for some women not to wear makeup! ha), there is a balance. So what is it that really does matter? What matters is that I am using my gifts and resources to bring glory to God. He has provided me with a town house to host people, kitchen equipment to cook, and plenty of time to prepare! At the end of the day, if they didn't like my food or if someone stopped by before I had a chance to vacuum, my purpose has not been hindered. In fact, it has actually been accomplished: relationship building.

And this all goes back to what we as Christians we are called to do wherever we are..."make disciples." (Acts 1:8)

What is being in the ministry really about? It's not about numbers; it's not about convincing people to become Christians; it's about producing disciples.  Isn't it frustrating how we get so stuck on ourselves? It's like we need visible affirmation that our work is worthwhile. Similar to my struggles in looking for approval from others in my housekeeping, often the focus in ministry is on numbers. It's on things that can be easily measured. I may base our success on how many people we shared the gospel with, or how many came to Sunday school, or how many Bible studies we are in. As confirmed by our new Australian friends, the focus is all wrong. My job is to make disciples. This is not as easily measured, but why does it need to be?? I should not seek man's approval, but God's. And what is it that brings Him joy?
1. Be attentive to the missions field around me. Look for opportunities to lead people to Him, help them grow.
2. Make disciples. And this goes both ways. Not only do I need to find a place grow, but I also need to find people to disciple.
3. Use my gifts! God gave me my gifts and preferences and He doesn't expect me to ignore them, but to use them for His glory!

I am blessed to have come from a family based on discipleship. As I have grown up and moved around, I have really come to appreciate my dad's commitment to discipling his kids. I have never met another dad like him. How blessed am I!? And he continues that commitment in the lives of men and college guys. His goal is not to lead people to Christ but to guide them through a growing walk with the Lord. It's the multiplication factor! My dad is the best example of true, worthwhile ministry that I know, my model for ministry here. <3

2 comments:

  1. Joni,

    I just saw your blog on facebook and this is just so beautiful! It's so awesome to read what the Lord is doing in and through you. I can't wait to read more soon. Love you!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. just stopping by to say hi. Not much time these days and we keep missing each other at church. Praying you are adjusting....

    Check your blog and enjoy reading.....

    what a wonderful words about your dad.....

    see you Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete