Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Pent Up Race Horse

Webster defines routine as "a regular course of procedure; habitual or mechanical performance of an established procedure."  There's not much "routine" in the life of  housewife. For me, it goes about as far as a weekly cleaning schedule. This can be hard on a type A, OCD, oldest of 5 new bride.

I like to think I am flexible. Give me one weeks notice and I'll be available for whatever you have in mind. :)
The people in our new community seem to know how to relax and be flexible much better than I do. Another area of growth; funny how God puts you in your least ideal situation so as to provide optimal growth. And I am thankful for that. After all, adjusting my scheduled time to go to the grocery store to hang out with a friend may not be the end of the world after all.

One thing I have been fortunate enough to establish in my daily "routine" is my workout. I LOVE my new gym! It's open 24-7 and is rarely crowed. Much to my husbands chagrin, I can even workout at 11pm after an unplanned food outing with friends. As is normal for those of us routine-followers, there are a few people who I see most every day at the gym. Granted, there is not much conversing going on between reps, but every now and then the usuals get a chance to catch up. One of these regulars is a local pastor. Upon first meeting, he explained how he came to his current church and proceeded to give me (a new youth pastor's wife) advise. "Start with the ABC's." I nodded, knowing deep down that I was prepared to jump right into inductive Bible study with my new youth. You see, I had it all planned out....

Famous last words. For those of you unfamiliar with inductive Bible study, it isn't something you just dive right into. You have to have a hunger for it. The words of the pastor seem so much more real. In all of my planning and training, the thought had never crossed my mind that what was normal for me was far from normal for others.

A local teacher-friend explained it well: "You just feel like a pent up race horse." She was referring to my desire for a teaching job. I have all this training and knowledge I am ready to try, yet no avenue to show it. I wonder how many of us miss valuable opportunities to minister and be part of God's plan simply because we have it "all planned out." Yet how exciting it is to be flexible and watch God work; He's plan is infinitely better than anything I could dream.    

Proverbs 31:17- "She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her task."
And I'm sure the work of the Proverbs 31 woman is not always (if ever!) what she expects. She work diligently, whether she planned for it or not!

Webster defines flexible as"characterized by a ready capability to adapt to new, different, or changing requirements." God is faithful and I know He will help me gain this trait.

No comments:

Post a Comment